The natural cure to UTIs
Most of us will experience the pain and discomfort that comes with a urinary tract infection at least once in our lifetime, more if you are a woman. This painful disease is caused when bacteria, specifically e.coli, get trapped in one’s urinary system. Women are more susceptible to it due to their shorter urethra which makes it easy for the bacteria to enter and cause an infection.
Do I have a UTI?
If you are experiencing any of the following symptoms, then you are most likely suffering from a UTI:
- Painful or burning urination
- Frequent need to pee
- Strange or cloudy urine
- Bloody or pus-filled urine
While the best cure for UTIs is undoubtedly antibiotics, there are quite a few natural remedies you can use to reduce the discomfort as the medicines kick in. They are:
1. Drink more water: Drinking plenty of water should be on everyone’s to-do list, and this becomes even more important when you suspect or are suffering from a UTI. Drinking more water will fill up your bladder more, making you pee more. The more you pee, the more bacteria are flushed out of your system. In fact, drinking loads of water can also help you prevent UTIs in the first place as any bacteria will have less time to set up home in your bladder.
2. Drink cranberry juice: Cranberry juice, the unsweetened kind, contains a certain polyphenol that makes it hard for e.coli to stick to your urethra walls. Ensure that you are consuming the unsweetened variety as sugar, along with alcohol and caffeine can irritate your bladder causing more discomfort.
3. Up your vitamin C intake: E.coli hates acidic environments which is why vitamin C with its high acid content is the perfect choice for busting those pesky bacterias. So from unsweetened orange juice to leafy spinach, add vitamin C to your diet and watch the UTI disappear
4. Pop some supplements: Why wait for the antibiotics to kick in when you can begin the healing process almost immediately? Supplements like Pure Nutrition’s Uro Flow not only help in reducing the infection but also alleviate the pain and discomfort caused by it. Natural additions like moringa and pumpkin seed extract make this supplement a wholesome addition to your recovery routine.
5. Take that bathroom break: The longer your urine sits in your bladder, the more chances of bacteria settling in and multiplying in your urethra. So no matter how long that meeting or how riveting the movie, take the bathroom break when you need to and reduce your risk of a painful and uncomfortable situation later on!
So the next time you get a UTI, don’t fret. Simply follow these natural steps and listen to your doctor’s advice, and you’ll be on your way back to being healthy in no time at all!