STAR ANISE: - HEALTH BENEFITS AND USES
Star anise is a spice with lots of health benefits! It is a star shaped fruit which belongs to a plant native to china.
Star anise is a good source of Vitamin A and C and little amount of Vitamin B.
Most of the health benefits of star anise if because of its active ingredient- Shikimic acid.
This is a very powerful ingredient used in the swine flu medication- Tamiflu
Here are some health benefits of star anise!
1. It is an excellent source of antioxidants.
- Star anise contains vitamin C and linalool (the essential oil) which works as antioxidants. Know more about pure nutriton natural antioxidant supplement for multi-purpose use click here.
- It reduces the cellular damage which is caused due to free radicals present in the environment. These antioxidants scavenge the free radicals, thus protecting the body.
- These free radicals in the body causes premature aging.
- These radicals also increase the risk of cancer.
2. It has antifungal properties
- Star anise helps in fighting against the fungal infections.
- Candida albicans (Common yeast infection) is a fungal infection which is marked by overgrowth of fungus in the mouth, genital areas, throat and sometimes intestine. This infection is normal till some extent but it hits the immune system badly and serious complication of this infection can lead to candidiasis.
- When the immune system is affected, other infections hits the body.
- Star anise oil works excellent in such cases.
3. It has antibacterial properties
- Star anise helps in fighting against the bacterial infections.
- They work similar to antibiotics in natural form.
4. It helps in fighting influenza and cough
- Active component in star anise- Shikimic acid is one of the rarest compound which is used in anti-flu medicines.
- Shikimic acid when combined with an plant antioxidant quercetin works as a very effective treatment against influenza and cough.
- It helps in boosting immunity and it fights against the viral infections.
- 1 cup of star anise tea during cough helps in soothing