Our ancestors were right! Here's why you should use Coconut Oil
While the world goes gaga about coconut oil, our mothers and grandmothers wonder what all the fuss is about. After all, they’ve always been aware of the immense benefits of this wonderful oil! They used it to cook their food, moisturise their body and hair, and look 30 at age 60. If you’re not like them and want to know what makes coconut oil such an amazing addition to your lifestyle, then read on.
1. It helps you lose weight: Numerous studies all concur that the medium chain triglycerides (MCTs) present in coconut oil are super helpful for losing weight. These MCTs can increase diet-induced thermogenesis by almost 6 percent! That’s not all! These chemicals that are often present in commercial muscle building products also help in gaining muscle and getting toned! Its fatty acids take longer to metabolise thus curbing hunger and encouraging weight loss.
2. It kills bacteria: The major fatty acid present in coconut oil is lauric acid which is a known anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal agent. When used externally this acid can go a long way in staving off infections. If that’s not all, once digested, lauric acid transforms into monolaurin, a monoglyceride that has been proven to kill Staphylococcus aureus and the yeast Candida albicans, both harmful pathogens. No wonder our grandparents never seemed to fall ill!
3. It promotes heart health: If you ever wondered why your south Indian grandparents rarely fell ill, it was probably due to their healthy lifestyle that included liberal amounts of coconut oil. The naturally occurring saturated fats in coconut oil are different from the ones present in animal-derived sources. The former promotes improved heart health by increasing the amount of HDL or good cholesterol in the blood while reducing LDL or bad cholesterol.
4. It can treat inflammation & arthritis: Studies show that the high antioxidant levels of coconut oil are very effective in reducing inflammation and healing arthritis. In fact, the studies also showed that the oil could act as an analgesic and anti-inflammatory that suppressed inflammatory cells.
5. It is a great moisturiser for your skin and hair: But you knew this already, didn’t you? After years of being chased by our moms and grandmas to apply this wondrous oil to your hair, we finally woke up to the reality when we realised that those daily champi sessions were the reason behind our lustrous, dandruff-free hair. Its low molecular weight and straight linear chain mean that it can penetrate your hair shaft and moisturise it from within!
Great hair, improved heart and overall health are just some of the reasons why your ancestors were right about coconut oil. It’s now time to heed them and bring that bottle of virgin coconut oil home!